Shock as three family members electrocuted in Wakiso

According to police, neighbors noticed the incident and disconnected the power before they removed the bodies that have now been conveyed to the city mortuary in Mulago for postmortem.

0
Advertisement
The deceased lying on the floor as neighbors look on in shock on Thursday morning. PHOTO/INTERNET.

Residents in Kasenge trading centre, Wakiso district were Thursday morning left in utter shock when three members of one family were electrocuted to death.

Police identified the victims as Asimmwe Babirye, 35, Annet, 24, and Jeremiah Sekalenzi, 5.

Advertisement

“The house where the deceased family was renting had no power. So, they illegally tapped power from the neighbourhood. Annet hanged wet clothes on one of the wires that had a link to power connection after washing this morning. The electricity shocked and electrocuted her,” Kampala Metropolitan Police Deputy Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire said.

“Asiimwe heard alarm and rushed, touched her sister with bare hands to save her and she was also electrocuted,” police said adding that Sekalenzi also died under similar circumstances.

According to police, neighbors noticed the incident and disconnected the power before they removed the bodies that have now been conveyed to the city mortuary in Mulago for postmortem.

Owoyesigyire noted that detectives were on the look out for the person who illegally connected the house to the national grid so that he or she can face the long arm of the law.
“It is a criminal offence to illegally connect your residence to the national grid,” he said.

Police is working with power distributors, UMEME to arrest people with illegal connections in the area and Kampala Metropolitan Area at large.

Advertisement
KAMPALA BUSINESS RADIO