Kampala explosions: Police reveal number of deaths, injuries

According to Fred Enanga, the police spokesperson, five of the injured are in critical condition.

Mr Fred Enanga, the Uganda Police Force spokesperson. COURTESY PHOTO.

Police in Uganda say the twin explosions that hit the capital Kampala early Tuesday were carried out by three suicide bombers who died on spot.

The explosions which occurred at a police checkpoint and Parliamentary Avenue, also claimed lives of three other Ugandans while 33 escaped with injuries.


According to Fred Enanga, the police spokesperson, five of the injured are in critical condition.

Mr. Enanga also said the police attack was carried out by one suicide bomber who was captured on CCTV camera carrying a backpack before he detonated it. Two civilians died on the spot and 17 others were injured and evacuated from the scene to hospital.

“The first attack occurred near the check point to the Central Police Station, in Kampala at around 10.03am.  The fresh footages on CCTV clearly indicate how a male adult, putting on a black jacket, and carrying a back pack, detonated himself.  He died instantly and the spillover effect caused additional injuries to police officers and other civilians who were within a radius of 30 metres.  Two other people have been confirmed dead, while 17 others sustained very critical injuries.  Those injured were within the section covering the point of impact and the front desk area at the Central Police Station,” Mr Enanga said.
The Parliament road attack was conducted by two suicide bombers riding on two boda boda motorcycles. One civilian was killed in the explosion that happened at Raj chambers and Jubilee Insurance offices at Parliamentary Avenue.

“Two suicide bombers were clearly captured, on motorcycles, disguising as bodaboda riders.  They detonated the bombs they were carrying on themselves, that killed them instantly,” he added.

Police said the fourth suicide bomber was pursued and arrested in Bwaise, a Kampala suburb after he was shot and disabled by detectives.

The explosions which happened three minutes apart-between 10:03am and 10:06am- were carried out by suspected domestic terrorists linked to Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) using Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).

“These attacks come 22 days after the last suicide bomb attack on a Swift Safaris Bus.  It clearly shows that the ADF linked radicalized groups, still have a desire to carry out lethal attacks, on soft targets, with suicide attackers and improvised explosive devices,” Mr Enanga said.