Police reveals more details about Komamboga bomb blast

The conclusion is based on notes gathered by a joint team of experts from Counter Terrorism, Intelligence and Investigations.

0
Fred Enanga the Uganda Police Spokesperson. PHOTO/FILE.

Police in Uganda has confirmed that the explosion which went off on October 23, 2021 at Kwata Zone, Komamboga Ward, Kawempe Division, in the Kampala District was an “intentional act of domestic terror.”

The conclusion is based on notes gathered by a joint team of experts from Counter Terrorism, Intelligence and Investigations.

According to the force spokesperson Fred Enanga, “the facts gathered clearly indicate that 3 men, disguised as customers arrived at the eating point, which belongs to Lule Samuel, at around 8.30pm. One of them was carrying a polyethene bag, containing unknown items that he placed under the table.”

Enanga said the suspects appeared friendly, interacted with other customers and placed more rounds of bites and drinks for them. They however disappeared afterwards abandoning their package at the scene. Moments after, the explosion occurred, covering a radius of 5 square meters, Enanga added.

He noted that this was an indication that the suspects ultimately detonated the improvised explosive device, after leaving the scene.

Mr Enanga also gave un update on the number of victims and their whereabouts.

“A total of 4 victims who were within the 5-meter radius were affected. Our sincere condolences, go to the family of the deceased, who has been identified as Nyinaneza Emily, a 20-year-old waitress,” he said.
He further elaborated that the deceased “succumbed to the deep injuries on her head, back and left leg.”

After thorough scrutiny, Mr Enanga revealed that the number of those were injured during the blast had been confirmed to be three lower than the seven previously announced.
These include; Kiconco Annet, Nakitto Rose and Ssenyonga Peter. Both Peter and Annet are still in critical condition, he said.

” Our teams have checked on them at Mulago Hospital and we wish them quick recovery. We want to thank the first responders who evacuated the victims to the nearest medical centers.”

While addressing reporters in Kampala, the police mouthpiece Sunday asserted that bomb experts had established that the explosion was out of a crude device, assembled using local materials of nails and other metallic fragments. “All indications suggest an act of domestic terror. We do greatly thank all persons who provided valuable tips that have given us good leads, towards the identity of the 3 culprits.”
He revealed that the task team that comprises of experts from the Bomb Squads, Joint Intelligence, Joint Anti-Terrorism units, Kampala Metropolitan, CID and Operations, were combing a radius of 2kms from the crime scene.

“We continue to appeal to all members of the community to remain extra vigilant and always pay much attention, to all forms of movements and suspicious behaviors within their surroundings,” Enanga said before attributing the Saturday incident to among others, overcrowding,low levels of alertness and lack of any security measures.
He also alluded to the fact that owners of the facility were operating in total disregard of the curfew restrictions.  “Any business or activity that puts profits before the safety and security of its customers, is prone to such kind of attacks,” Enanga said.

The area hit yesterday is located about 8 kilometers from the city centre and has over ten eating points.

In his address, Enanga warned the media too.

“We also want to caution the media, especially social media, to stop playing the blame game by pointing fingers. The respective advisories and terror alerts by the UK and France, were not discriminate in nature and required specific details which were not availed.”

The public has also been urged to be up their vigilance and not leave matters of security and safety to security agencies.

The police promised to continuously maintain its levels of security preparedness across the country whereby focusing more on places that attract crowds. “As we step up security in these places, we call upon the public to remain vigilant. Just recently, we cracked down several rebel collaborators, who were undermining the prevailing peace and security in the country. We shall therefore, work tirelessly and bring all the culprits involved in the bomb attack, to book.”

Reacting to the same incident, president Yoweri Museveni earlier on Sunday said his government would defeat the criminality like it has done before to other criminality committed by the “pigs who don’t respect life.”

KAMPALA BUSINESS RADIO