Caf suspends Guinea Vs Morocco game over security concerns

The Atlas Lions of Morocco have reportedly been instructed to remain indoors at their residence, and not to go close to the windows of the facility.

0

Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed the suspension of the 2022 Fifa World Cup qualification match between Guinea and Morocco.

The game was scheduled to take place on Monday, September 6 – however, it will now be played on a yet to be announced date due to security concerns in Conakry, where gunfire has been heard against the backdrop of a reported coup d’etat attempt.

“The political and security situation in Guinea is quite volatile and is closely monitored by FIFA and CAF. To ensure the safety of all players and protect all officials of the match, CAF and FIFA have decided to postpone the Guinea – Morocco match scheduled for Conakry on Monday, September 6, 2022 ”, the African Football Confederation announced in an official statement. (CAF), specifying “reprogramming information will be available at a later date.”

“We have decided, after having taken the president, to dissolve the constitution,” said a uniformed officer flanked by soldiers toting assault rifles in a video that went viral on social media.

The officer also said that Guinea’s land and air borders have been shut and the government dissolved.

However the situation remained unclear as Conde’s government also released a statement insisting that an attack on the presidential palace by special forces had been “repulsed”.  

Guinea — one of the world’s poorest countries despite boasting significant mineral resources — has long been beset by political instability. 

Earlier on Sunday, residents of the capital Conakry’s Kaloum district, the government quarter, reported hearing heavy gunfire.

The Atlas Lions of Morocco have reportedly been instructed to remain indoors at their residence, and not to go close to the windows of the facility.

Locked in their respective hotels, the two selections could not carry out their training on the eve of the match. “Right now we’re stuck there […]. We wait. I hope we get back to Morocco before dark, “Moroccan coach Vahid Halilhodzic told L’Equipe.

Guinea began their quest to a maiden World Cup appearance with a 1-1 draw against Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday, where they took the lead in the seventh minute courtesy of Francois Kamano’s effort at the Stade Olympique.

The hosts levelled matters through Joseph Mende after 51 minutes.

Morocco on the other hand, secured a 2-0 victory over Sudan in Rabat, with Stade Rennais defender Nayef Aguerd and Aboaagla Abdalla’s own goal settling the affair.

Morocco made their World Cup maiden appearance in Mexico 1970 – where they crashed out in the preliminary stage. But they have since represented the continent on four more occasions.

The 1976 Afcon champions’ last appearance was at the Russia 2018 World Cup and ended at the group stage after being drawn with Portugal, Iran and Spain.

KAMPALA BUSINESS RADIO