By Zziwa Ashiraf
Rabitat Al Alam Al Islami (Muslim World League) finally discovered what led to the collapse of the 1st agreement signed in Makkah Saudi Arabia. So, they decided to continue with the reconciliation processes among Ugandan Muslims without leaving anyone behind.
MWL sent the late Dr. Kassamallah Zaid Mubarak, a Sudanese National who was very familiar with Uganda to continue with the reconciliation efforts on the ground.
He set up base at Nile Mansions Hotel, which has since been renamed as Serena hotel. He immediately began engaging both camps that of the mainstream Uganda Muslim Supreme Council-UMSC under Sheikh Kassimu Mulumba and Kibuli under Sheikh Abdu Obeid Kamulegeya.
He invited the key players from both camps for the talks.
However, this wasn’t a walk in the park. The talks were characterised with accusations and counter-accusations and dragged on for an entire month when the warring parties agreed to unite and share UMSC leadership positions under the following terms;
● That the elections held in 1980 were valid according to the provisions of the UMSC Constitution,
● In the spirit of Give & Take, Sheikh Kassimu Mulumba retains the topmost Executive Powers of Council as the Chief Kadhi of Uganda because of his solid qualifications.
● Sheikh Abdu Obeid Kamulegeya was to assume the Office of Deputy Chief Kadhi of Uganda and was to be in charge of all Dawah (Islamic Propagation) activities, Religious ceremonies including Mawlid, Duwa (memorial prayers for dead etc,
● Sheikh Maulana Abdu- Razak Matovu was to assume the ceremonial Office of the Mufti with the limited role of handling religious matters such as the interpretation of the Holy Quran and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH) and was to chair special Sessions of the Assembly in case of the impeachment of the top positions of the Chief Kadhi & his deputy,
● Majlis Al Ulama shall comprise an equal number of Sheikhs from both sides so names were listed and was to be chaired by the Chief Kadhi of Uganda.
● Substantively elected individuals were to assume their offices at UMSC Headquarters (Mainly Kibuli Camp) while those who were under Sheikh Mulumba being handpicked, were to assume positions of the Assistant Secretaries.
This led to the signing of the agreement dubbed the Kassamallah agreement on Sept 1st 1981. President Dr. Milton Obote hosted Dr. Kassamallah Zaid Mubarak prior to his departure and expressed appreciation to MWL for uniting Muslims.
He pledged on behalf of his Gov’t closer working cooperation with the World Body and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in general.
The author is the Uganda Muslim Supreme Council Spokesperson.