20.7 C
Kampala
Saturday, January 29, 2022

Cape Town, Dubai Sevens cancelled due to COVID-19

Must read

Police gets new deputy spokesperson

Nabakka replaces Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Polly Namaye who is currently in South Sudan for a United Nations mission.

AWCON | Uganda Crested Cranes qualify for 2022 edition

The Crested Cranes who had just entered camp, were slated to host the Harambe Starlets on February 17 before facing off again six days later for the return leg.

Policeman allegedly shoots himself dead at Nsambya barracks

He added that all had been exhibited and body taken to city mortuary Mulago for a post mortem.

CHRISTOPHER SEMBUYA (1935 – 2022): The story of a visionary African industrialist ignored by his own government

Sembuya was a passionate believer in African run business and he wrote a small book, “The other side of Amin Dada!” In it he noted Amin emancipated and supported African businessmen like him start industries.
Adminhttp://www.stadaily.co.ug
If you have any story tip or an opinion you wish to share with us, please Email us at; editor@stadaily.co.ug.

FILE PHOTO: Table Mountain seen during the HSBC Cape Town Sevens at Cape Town Stadium in Cape Town, South Africa. (Photo by Getty Images/Getty Images for HSBC)

CGTN – The Dubai and Cape Town Sevens legs of the 2020/2021 HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Dubai leg was due to take place between November 26 and 28 while the Cape Town leg was due to take place between December 4 and 6. Both events are combined, meaning that both men and women participate in them.

A statement from World Rugby said the decision was arrived at after “comprehensive consultation process and constructive dialogue with the host organisations.”

“The decisions were taken in line with relevant government and international public health authority advice and with the health and wellbeing of the rugby community and the wider public taking precedence. Both hosts are due to return to a full Series schedule beyond this season,” the statement said.

World Rugby said that it was focused on planning for the 2021 Series and the build-up to the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

It added that a committee had been created to review contingency plans and evaluate preparations for the safe, secure and impactful return to international rugby sevens competition.

“World Rugby and its partners continue to focus on delivering the remainder of the 2021 men’s and women’s Series, while working in full collaboration with all stakeholders to closely monitor the ongoing and challenging COVID-19 environment.”

World Rugby Chief Executive Brett Gosper said that the decision was a “prudent one” despite the disappointment of players, teams, fans, hosts and stakeholders at the cancellation of the two events.

“We look forward to welcoming these wonderful destinations back to the Series following this year’s hiatus.”

Last month, New Zealand was awarded both the men’s and women’s HSBC Sevens Series titles after the remaining rounds of the Series were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Police gets new deputy spokesperson

Nabakka replaces Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Polly Namaye who is currently in South Sudan for a United Nations mission.

AWCON | Uganda Crested Cranes qualify for 2022 edition

The Crested Cranes who had just entered camp, were slated to host the Harambe Starlets on February 17 before facing off again six days later for the return leg.

Policeman allegedly shoots himself dead at Nsambya barracks

He added that all had been exhibited and body taken to city mortuary Mulago for a post mortem.

CHRISTOPHER SEMBUYA (1935 – 2022): The story of a visionary African industrialist ignored by his own government

Sembuya was a passionate believer in African run business and he wrote a small book, “The other side of Amin Dada!” In it he noted Amin emancipated and supported African businessmen like him start industries.

Nbs,bbs,21 other tv stations in hot soup over copyright infringement

UCC has also demanded “proof and evidence of acquisition of copyrights and broadcasting rights” for the concerned programmes “in line with Clause 18 of Schedule B of the License Agreement executed between the station and the Commission.”